Characters/NPCS Update - philippejugnet

PhilippeJugnet's blog, for everything art-related in Pxile. View the fantastic pixels.

Characters/NPCS Update - philippejugnet

Postby philippejugnet » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:53 pm

Here is Lune, meet him =).

Melee ( sword ) animation: ( first sketch )

Ranged ( arrow ) animation: ( still a little sketchy )

Last edited by philippejugnet on Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
philippejugnet

Re: Characters/NPCS Update - philippejugnet

Postby laneg » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:53 pm

Nice melee anim, but I think all the weapons will be projectiles for now (so the player can run and gun). We just need static horizontal images, like Cave Story (things like throwing daggers won't appear until you throw them).
I'll do testing on melee weapons, though, to see if their short range and anim delays are annoying or fun.

Really liking the new Lune design! Keep it up!
laneg
Site Admin

Postby philippejugnet » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:27 am

laneg wrote:Nice melee anim, but I think all the weapons will be projectiles for now (so the player can run and gun). We just need static horizontal images, like Cave Story (things like throwing daggers won't appear until you throw them).
I'll do testing on melee weapons, though, to see if their short range and anim delays are annoying or fun.

Really liking the new Lune design! Keep it up!

just do as a projectile. Item 001 = ("blank", "1", "5", "Lune.Melee", "3" )
Item id = ("graphic", "range", "speed", ".suffix", "frame of the animation to shoot projectile" )

try that =) I did it in my online game and it worked fine.
philippejugnet

Postby laneg » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:58 am

So, wait, are you saying hide the player and play the attack as a projectile? Heh, that's a little hacky...

This issue isn't about code, but that there would be a pause in running every time the player attacked. From a gameplay standpoint, I don't like it.

Also, the sword range is very short - you'd have to run up right next to your enemies to use it. Add in the attack delay, and you're definitely going to get hit by the enemy's counter-attack. Since the player won't have HP, just around 5-20 "bars", getting hit 5+ times is game over. Movement should be fluid and unaffected by attacks - what I call "run and gun".

These are all design decisions more than code decisions - I *could* potentially support melee and delayed projectiles in-game, but the game wouldn't play as well, I think.
laneg
Site Admin

Postby philippejugnet » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:06 am

laneg wrote:So, wait, are you saying hide the player and play the attack as a projectile? Heh, that's a little hacky...

This issue isn't about code, but that there would be a pause in running every time the player attacked. From a gameplay standpoint, I don't like it.

Also, the sword range is very short - you'd have to run up right next to your enemies to use it. Add in the attack delay, and you're definitely going to get hit by the enemy's counter-attack. Since the player won't have HP, just around 5-20 "bars", getting hit 5+ times is game over. Movement should be fluid and unaffected by attacks - what I call "run and gun".

These are all design decisions more than code decisions - I *could* potentially support melee and delayed projectiles in-game, but the game wouldn't play as well, I think.

actually I think it will increase the skill cap. I really think its going to be better to do rpg-ish with levels and points to add.
philippejugnet

Postby laneg » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:27 am

We can't do player levels, unfortunately, because of some of the restrictions of the game (time, random levels). I'll go through some of the gameplay restrictions in today's meeting.

This is mostly to ensure we finish the game on time, but also because I like some of these unorthodox ideas. No item menu sounds crazy... until you start thinking about it.
laneg
Site Admin

Return to Art Updates